The welfare of our rescued Havanese is our top priority. This involves following a process which ensures each rescue is matched with the adopters best-suited for him/her. We do not operate on a “first come first served” basis. Listed below are some guidelines to familiarize you with our adoption process:
- You must be 21 years or older to adopt. Also, we do not adopt to families with children under the age of 6.
- Please fill out and submit an Adoption Application so that we can learn more about you and your family. This must be printed out, fully completed, signed and mailed with a $25 check payable to HALO for processing costs. Our address is: P. O. Box 787, Huntley, Illinois 60142.
- When your application is received, we will contact you to schedule a telephone interview. This normally takes around 30 to 45 minutes. If we believe you are potentially a good fit for one of our dogs, we will then contact your references and your veterinarian.
- The last step before we can approve your application is a home visit. We will arrange to have this at a time convenient for you. We ask that if possible, all family members be present.
- If you are approved to adopt, and there is a particular dog you are interested in, we will explore with you whether that dog is a good fit for you. If another dog is a better fit, we will let you know. We’ll give you an explanation as to the temperament of the dog and why we feel he/she is the right one for you. We will then arrange for you to contact the foster family. If you want to meet the dog before the adoption, that can be arranged at that time too. We do not allow applicants to meet our rescues until AFTER they are approved.
- The actual adoption takes place at the foster home. You will sign a contract of adoption and pay the adoption fee, which can generally be found in each dog’s Petfinder.com listing. This only partly offsets the costs for the vet care received by each dog – dental exam and cleaning, spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm testing and medication, fecal test, general vet exam and anything else required by each individual dog.